Monday, August 31, 2009

Why Buying Birthday Cards Officially Sucks

September is a bum month for me. My mom, brother, grandmother and sister-in-law all celebrate their b-days within days of each other. That means a mammoth trip to Hallmark to pick up the requisite greeting cards.

What should really be a 10-15 minute shopping excursion now takes 30-35 minutes. Why? Cos some a-hole decided that we need to have more categories of birthday greetings, which means more rows of cards now flood the already overstuffed racks. Happy b-day to my step-sister. Happy birthday to my son-in-law. Happy birthday to my mother (religious version). Happy birthday to my cousin's half-uncle. WTF? Where are the nicely designed, decently scripted cards that can be used for any person's b-day, whether they are a relative or not? Or, for that matter, where are the blank ones so I can write the greeting myself? I had to comb through every goddamn rack before I found four cards I could tolerate. And don't get me started on the cards that play music. Who wants to open a card and be blasted in the face with the Macarena song?

If progress is supposed to be making life easier (ie, GPS navigation to get you where you need to go), why are the already simple things getting more complex?

No comments:

Post a Comment