Thursday, August 13, 2009

I Loathe Publicists

How I came to have a career in PR is one of the great mysteries of my life. I'm not into people and hawking celebrities or products gives me the creeps. My saving grace has been that I can write and I took enough journalism classes to know what reporters consider news.

The worst thing about being in PR is dealing with other publicists. This generally happens in a group meeting or conference call. I can spot them a mile away - the women in super tight skirts and impossibly high heels, the men in bad suits and the 1990s-style goatee. They lodge themselves so far up your ass during initial introductions, you want to swallow a bottle of laxatives.

I was on a call today with a gaggle of publicists from a big PR firm. They talked about their proposal and used the words "strategy," "integrated," and "SM" (for social media) more times than I care to count. Plus a lot of "you knows?" They gabbed a mile a minute and sounded completely rehearsed. As the call continued I grew more depressed. Most publicists are despised by journalists, mocked in the press and generally devalued by their clients. You can see why - many haven't read the magazines they are pitching or don't know how to find the angle on a story. Or they issue statements that so distort the truth, their credibility is forever shot.

I'll ask again: how they hell did I get into this Stepford Clique?

Next time I go to a press event, I want to wear a sign that says "I won't pitch you unless I mean it."

1 comment:

  1. This entry makes me want to switch careers now that I'm in job limbo. I started out studying journalism and had too many people tell me how hard it is to find a job, or that I'd be writing obits for the first five years.

    *Sigh.*

    ReplyDelete