Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I Still Don't Get Vanity Plates


When I got my very first car (a gorgeous 1965 Mustang) I remember that vanity plates were all the rage. It was somehow important to tell the world about yourself through your rear license plate. It always befuddled me. You don't have a lot of room to spell anything out that's substantive so you have to use kooky abbreviations, which only diminishes your message. Kids at my high school went nuts for customized plates. You'd pull into the parking lot and see "2KEWL" or "MYRIDE" or "LUV4LIFE." I'd shake my head and hope that this inane craze would soon die out.

It hasn't. Twenty years later, I find myself surrounded by more lame license plates than ever before. Somehow they have multiplied. Today on the 605, a middle aged man in an Audi cut me off. To add insult to injury, his plate read "2FAST4U." What an a-hole. I pulled behind a truck at a stoplight and had to read "TIM + LISA." Yesterday in Pasadena, I was stopped behind an Infiniti with a plate that said, "LUVMYG."

Okay, I get it. You love your spouse and you love your car. Why can't you have a regular license plate? Having a DMV issued plate doesn't mean you love your car less, or that you will leave your husband. Think about it.

I think I need to make a stronger point to the world about this. Perhaps I can order a special plate that says "PLAIN."

Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment