Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Oh, Roman, Roman...

I am a huge fan of Roman Polanski. "Rosemary's Baby" is probably my all-time favorite film. I also adore "Repulsion," "Chinatown" and "The Tenant." But I am not blind to the fact that Polanski committed a pretty egregious act against a minor. So unlike the cadre of Hollywood directors and actors who are calling for his release, I believe no one, not even one of my favorite directors, is above the law.

I was bemused that Woody Allen was among the first to lead the call for Polanski's release. Perhaps not the best advocate, an older guy who took up with his longtime girlfriend's young adoptive daughter. And least she wasn't a minor, though.

Also kind of surprising that some actresses are lobbying for the Swiss to release him, like Debra Winger. If Polanski had given her underage daughter champagne, drugs and then forced her to have anal sex, would that change her opinion about whether he should serve more jail time?

I had the Roman Polanski documentary ("Wanted and Desired") in my Netflix queue and curiously, it should be shipping this week. Talk about excellent timing.

I guess I found this season's court drama, if the case actually makes it that far!

No comments:

Post a Comment