Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Meat Contradiction

I have been thinking about the fact that while I eat meat, I have this very odd aversion to eating what I call baby meat (veal, lamb, young pigs). I came across a recipe for suckling pig and I just shuddered at the thought of a one or two month old pig being yanked from its mother and butchered. Which is total hypocrisy because I have no problem consuming a pig that's older. Maybe it's because the suckling pig looks too much like Wilbur from "Charlotte's Web?"

I haven't eaten veal in 15 years and I rarely if ever eat lamb. What accounts for this odd boycott and obvious double standard? I'll eat you, Mr. Animal, but before I do, enjoy your time on Earth....your days are numbered.

Hmmm.

3 comments:

  1. So you dont want to rip the baby from its mother, but you'll take the mother from its baby?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn. I have the perfect picture of a suckling pig from my trip to Spain last year that you could have used here. They display them with pride at the market in Barcelona.

    ReplyDelete