Friday, September 4, 2009

Goddamn me

Faithful readers of this blog will know I have a deep affinity for engaging in conversations with strangers. ; )

So my latest odyssey: I had to run to Bristol Farms yesterday to pick up two ingredients. It was not a real shopping excursion. My strategy was to run in and run out in less than six minutes. And I was well on my way to accomplishing this goal when I was met by two college kids carrying clipboards while I was trying to exit the store. They murmured something about a petition and I mumbled back that I wasn't interested.

However, it didn't hit me until I reached my car that they were asking me to sign a petition to overturn Prop 8. My keys were almost in the ignition. Oh no!! What to do? Turn around and race back to the entrance, with some lame excuse that I couldn't hear them? (which is actually true, although I was so eager to bypass them I wasn't fully listening, either). Or drive away and not put my signature to something that I personally believe in?

I sat in the car completely flummoxed. Would they think I was some awful homophobe now? I glanced in the rearview mirror and several people were gathered around them smiling, nodding and so happy to be signing the petition. With great shame I put the car in drive and pulled out of the lot. I was super bummed and pissed at myself. I have definitely pointed the finger at friends for not doing the right thing or standing up for something they believe in, and low and behold, I turn around and do the same damn thing.

To repent, I am buying candy today from the kid who solicits in our office building. He will probably have a heart attack, as I always quicken my pace to dart by him too.

1 comment:

  1. Good one Roya - Equal rights for Gays or candy - that should balance things out.

    ReplyDelete