Friday, May 29, 2009

Now THIS is what I call sports

The final round of the Scripps National Spelling Bee is this week. You can keep your Laker playoffs, your NFL draft picks and your Dodger bobbleheads. There is no finer sport than the all-American spelling bee (although heavy weight boxing is a close second).

Call me a dork but I've kept a list of some of the most random words that I've heard from past competitions. I often fantasize about using them at a fancy dinner party or even a family event (ideally when I'm upset at my father and then I can trounce him by using a word he can't even repeat). Here are some interesting ones:

Minuend
Chaffinch
Urceolate
Quodlibet

I don't have a competitor whom I root for in particular, but if I see a Latino contender I get excited. Happy that there is diversity in this sport but I'd love it if someone besides an Indian or Asian kid would win.

Does that make me too doctrinaire?

1 comment:

  1. you're funny. I was excited to see the litte brotha made it pretty far. He completed bombed on his last word though.

    ReplyDelete