Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I Love me the Bookstore

I swear, nothing can get me giddy like walking into a bookstore (although a shoe store is a close second). On Sunday we went to Barnes & Noble so I could pick up "The Reader," as threatened in a previous post. I also was curious to see if Magnus would sit still for the children's book hour that they feature. Not so much. That boy loves to run and topple things over.

So of course I couldn't buy just one thing and ended up walking up and down every aisle. I spent the most time in the literature section gazing over all of the titles, analyzing the book covers. It took forever to decide on another novel. Finally, after much agonizing, I selected "Slowness" by Milan Kundera. One, he is one of my favorite writers, and two, I hadn't read any new works by him in at least four years. (Unless he went on hiatus and just stopped writing for a while...). Plus, Kundera is so great about how he structures chapters. They are generally never more than a page long, so you can read ten chapters in five minutes and feel like you have done something with your life.

I noticed a heckuva lot of fat people at the bookstore. Not the "you need to lose 40 pounds" kind of fat, but the kind where they were driving those little motorized carts to get around. For the first time in a long time, I felt skinny. Hmmm. May need to hang out there more.

No comments:

Post a Comment