Monday, May 11, 2009

Aiming to read The Reader

Having a baby means J and I only see films via Netflix. Occasionally we will set up a date three months in advance if a film is opening that we really want to see, like "The Dark Knight." But that is a rare occasion.

This weekend we managed to catch up on our Netflix pile, which was starting to look like a stack of drink coasters. Finally got to see "The Reader." That damn Hannah is now stuck in my brain like an unwelcome obsession. Why was she more ashamed of being illiterate than being a Nazi prison camp guard? And all the showering? Now I find myself wanting to see photos of the various camps, so during lunch I peruse Wikipedia and Google and look for links. I feel compelled but I don't know why.

Concurrently I am reading "War Against the Weak," a historical account of America's eugenics movement and its aim to create a master race.

See a theme here? I think a trip to Border's is in store for this weekend. Must pick up The Reader and try to understand Miss Hannah more.

1 comment:

  1. I have been meaning to read that, too. Holding off on seeing the movie so I can be one of those annoying people who say, "Tsk. The book was much better."

    ReplyDelete