Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I don't do mini-series

For being such loyal customers, DirecTV has given J and I three months of free movie channels. I have no idea what the channels are or where they are located on the dial. By magic, I flip on the tube and they appear.

So one of the channels is airing the "Tudors" series. I have heard great reviews about it, and it's certainly interesting historical stuff, but after a long day's work and chasing the baby through the house, I just can't do a mini-series. I want to watch a two hour movie, subtitled or otherwise, and go to bed. Same thing with the John Adams series. J actually added it to our Netflix queue and I was horrified. "We're going to watch an effing eight hour mini-series about men in wigs? When do we get our lives back?"

I can't explain why I fear the mini-series. After all, I still devote time to watching a film. Perhaps it's the sheer amount of time that you have to invest from beginning to end. Either that or deep down, I feel that no mini-series can ever match the power of what is truly the greatest TV saga of all time, "The Thorn Birds."

Now, if that was running on Lifetime or WE, I'd be there in a second...

1 comment:

  1. I tried really hard to get into "John Adams," and I can't figure out why it's so much harder to stick with than a regular series. It just is.

    ReplyDelete