Monday, December 7, 2009

$300 for happy hour food?

Last week J and I celebrated our third wedding anniversary. I don't like to say we are foodies, as that term has many negative connotations for me, but I will say we like to cook and try new places. Our latest haunt was Jose Andres' The Bazaar at the SLS hotel. I was very keen to try this joint - tapas are its specialty, both traditional and modern. The LA Times gave it a rare four-star rating, plus they make foie gras covered in cotton candy and crushed corn nuts. Need I say more?

The food is uber creative and uber good. We had outstanding beef hanger steak that was so soft, you could slice it with a fork. There was watermelon nigiri - thin slices of yellowtail on top of a watermelon cube with soy foam and sliced jalapenos. I mentioned the foie gras (we had to do two servings, it was goooood) but did I mention the most amazing guacamole and jicama dish? It made you close your eyes and start speaking Spanish.

Then the bill came.

J was sweet enough to try and hide the amount from me but I was able to sneak a glimpse: $325 with tip. Three hundred bucks for nine plates of finger food, some margaritas and teeny tiny dessert plates. I haven't resolved my feelings on this one. It was a stellar dining experience, outstanding service and wonderful food. But you also felt on the drive home, you could have stopped at Fatburger to finish filling up.

I guess we'll be going to Souplantation on our next date...

No comments:

Post a Comment