Monday, December 28, 2009

Led Zep still turns me on


Last night J and I watched "It Might Get Loud," a fascinating documentary about three musicians and their take on the electric guitar. The film explores the creative process and how these artists (Jimmy Page, The Edge & Jack White) work to create their signature sound. The interviews and footage were great, especially the old concert clips of U2, but when the film cut to a few tracks by Led Zeppelin I just lost my mind. It took me back 20+ years to when I first heard the Physical Graffiti album and was astonished that a band could sound like that. There is something so perennially cool about Led Zeppelin, it affects everyone who loves rock music. It's best summed up by a scene in the film when Jimmy Page starts to play "Whole Lotta Love." Jack White and The Edge stare at him with rapture, as if they've just seen the most beautiful girl in the world.

It's been many years since Physical Graffiti - I've gone to college, married, had a baby - but Led Zeppelin will always reach under my skin, peel back the proper exterior and turn me into a screaming, unapologetic fan.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to rent that. Jimmy Page is my all time favorite guitarist.

    ReplyDelete