Friday, July 10, 2009

Adventures of the Anti-Social Mommy




So I broke down and signed Magnus up for a play and learn class at our local Gymboree. There are several reasons for this. One, there are not many toddlers his age in our condo complex with whom he interacts. Two, I am terrible about arranging play dates with the few people I know who have kids close to his age. (I think its the phrase "play date." Sounds too contrived and forced.) And three...well, there isn't really a third reason.

J thought the class was a good idea and said it may help build Mags' confidence. He isn't a shy child but he can be reserved when he comes into contact with other children. I just chalk this up to him being super-smart and easily bored by others. The rub is that I have to go to this class and participate along with all the other kids and their mommas. There is nothing I dread more than meeting new people. I have my family and my friends and I don't need any more, thank you. Now, once a week, I have to put on socks, stand on a brightly colored mat and make small talk with a bunch of other mothers. Holy hell, what have I done to deserve this?

Last week at the pool, a couple with a one-year-old came up to us and started chatting. I felt my throat constrict. I was doing just fine playing with my kid, why do you have to come over and ruin it? Small talk is like a slow, painful death. Especially when the topic is nap time and diaper issues. Let me babble with my child, it's more interesting.

So does Mags really need the class to improve his interaction skills, or do I?

1 comment:

  1. This is one of many reason for my being single. The thought of going out and socializing simpling cringes me. Eww.

    You should plan a play date w/ Kim. You guys live so close and you know you guys can hang out w/out me. I wont get jealous :-)

    ReplyDelete