Thursday, March 1, 2012

I need a better job description

Since I officially entered the realm of stay-at-home mom, I have been spending my free time (that would be the three minutes when I dry off after the shower) pondering the ridiculousness of the phrase stay-at-home mom.

Because I rarely stay at home. Hardly. I shower and sleep here, basically. I push the Snap N Go around the block. Sometimes twice. I drive Magnus to karate and music class. I drive to the grocery store. I take the babies to the pediatrician. I ferry all three kiddies to the park. Once a week I drive to my acupuncturist to have needles inserted into my flesh so I can have more energy to not be at home.

Who coined this ludicrous phrase? While driving with Magnus to the pharmacy (see? I am not at home again) I thought about an alternative descriptor. Working mom? But all moms work, whether in or outside the home. Full-time mom? That isnt accurate, either. Moms who go to the office are still moms for those eight hours.

So we don't have a correct job title for one of the most important and allegedly revered jobs on the planet. What the hells?

Sound off, faithful readers. (Or is it just one reader? If I was home and blogging more, I would know this).



1 comment:

  1. Well, to be honest, I don’t have a problem with the Stay@Home Mom title even though we spend a lot of time on the road. There is so much involved from financial stuff, to home maintenance stuff, cleaning, laundry, cooking and food prep, and don’t forget the flashcards, stories and writing exercises. It feels like running a business all by myself some times. I do schedule “down days” which are days that I don’t do much but hang out in the house so it’s not like I’m always running at full speed. So if you’re looking for a better title then how about “In & Out Mom” or “Domestic Dictator” or “The Boss” or “Domestic Administrator” or “Bitch-in-Charge”. I could go on. Perhaps I will on my blog.

    Yours Truly,
    One Reader

    ReplyDelete