Friday, August 5, 2011

oh brother(s)

We had an ultrasound today and I couldn't bear the suspense anymore. While Dr. T (who J and I lovingly call Dr. Personality in honor of his penchant for not speaking) stared at the monitor, I blurted out, "Will we know the sex today?"

"Sure," he said. Then he continued to stare at the screen, make some notes and generally ignore me. After a few minutes he wiped my midsection and said, "Everything is good."

"So do we know?" I asked him, mildly hyper.

"We don't know," he replied. "But I know."

OMG, really? "So, Dr. T, what do you know?"

"What do you want?" he said.

Oh, we're playing that game. Okay. "A boy and a girl would be nice," I replied.

He shook his head. "This is out of the question."

Wha, what?? "Uh...is it...two girls?" I said, feeling my hands start to sweat. I'm a feminist and all but raising two girls, especially two teenage girls, might make me join the Taliban.

"Do you want two girls?"

I get what I want in this scenario? Well, well. "My husband wants a basketball team," I replied, "so two boys would be nice."

"Okay," he said, pretending to look down a list. "The preference is boy and girl, two boys, and last preference is two girls."

"Right!"

He nodded and said, "Your husband will have a basketball team. See you in two weeks."

"Are you KIDDING? TWO boys?"

"I'm not kidding. Make sure you get your glucose screen next week." And with that, Dr. Personality shook my hand and vacated the room.

There you have it. Cut and Paste, their working names, are two boys. I will share a house with four dudes. Magnus will have two little brothers to play with or beat up. I won't know the experience of raising a daughter. But I'm okay. I'm more than okay. I'm a mamma to three BOYS!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so first off: YAY! Two Boys that awesome - not that two girls would have been bad or any thing but YAY! Boys! Second, didn't you get a look at the ultrasound? I'm sure you and J are familiar with male genitalia and could have spotted the family jewels yourselves. Thrid, FIRE YOUR DOCTOR. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete