Thursday, October 7, 2010

blech

Crappy movie spoiler alert: if you haven't seen "The Killer Inside Me" with Casey Affleck, don't.

J and I sat through this film and aside from trying to follow a meandering storyline and mumbly dialogue, we were caught off guard by its violence. I'm not talking gory, slasher-style violence; I mean extended scenes of unflinching brutality. Affleck in one scene puts on gloves and punches Jessica Alba in the face until her eyes swell shut. Later, he spits in Kate Hudson's face and kicks her to death. I loathe stylized violence and watching two women being attacked on screen is unnerving, especially when the roles these women have in the film are thin to begin with.

There are film critics who will likely defend the film, who will say that those scenes are necessary because they show the character's psychological underpinnings and have to appear realistic, but I call b.s. You can convey a lot in a scene and not be exploitative.

I think its back to Pixar movies for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment