Monday, May 17, 2010

It's not easy being green

For about four years now, J and I have been a Green Couple. Not the preachy, sanctimonious kind you try to escape at the market or bookstore, though. I was semi-organic when I met him and he was an organic enthusiast who bought produce at the local farmers market and used air freshner from Whole Foods. About two years ago we decided to use only environmentally safe cleaning products and buy eco-friendly toys and clothes for Magnus. Being green has given us peace of mind, but its also made us tired and nearly broke.

There have been days when I wished I was 21 again and thought nothing about eating at a fast food restaurant and buying strawberries from Raphs. Not only is it expensive to be green, its time consuming. You can't just go to the big supermarket and pick up everything you need in one trip. We start at 8:30 a.m. on Saturdays and go to our farmers market, where we buy all our fruits, veggies and our organic coffee. That'll eat up about $45. Then we drive 20 minutes to T-Joes for the majority of our supplies. $140 easy. However, they don't carry soy yogurt, chlorine-free baby wipes or Seventh Generation dish soap. So that's our third trip of the day, to Whole Foods, where we quickly drop another $30-$40. By noon I am completely exhausted and forlorn as I eye the last $1o bill in my wallet.

I realize we are lucky that we can afford to eat super fresh every day and that Magnus already knows what real food is supposed to taste like. I'm not complaining, just quietly whining. Could I get a coupon once a year, or a "Frequent Greener" break? Help a non-annyoing greeny out.

2 comments:

  1. And you drive to all these places in a gas burning car? You assholes - I'm calling Al Gore right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I haven't sorted out my eco-friendly ride just yet!!

    ReplyDelete