Monday, February 22, 2010

loving life in the kitchen

For the first time in many weeks, I spent most of the weekend cooking. I was a bit tired from work and the Magnus Schedule (that would be our son getting up at 5:45 a.m. for the second week in a row) but somehow I was able to get a second wind and whip up a plethora of good eats. We had steak with heirloom tomatoes, capers, fennel and parsley on Saturday and a wonderful chowder with bacon and cod on Sunday. I always struggle with lunch, as I'd rather save my energies for cooking dinner, but I was able to devise a pita humus sandwich with fresh herbs in 15 minutes. Screw your 30-minutes, Rachel Ray.

While prepping Saturday's meal I was reminded of my fifth grade class, when the teacher asked each of us what we wanted to be when we grew up. I had the hardest time answering the question. What do I want to do for the rest of my life? Basically, read, write, travel and see good movies. I had no real sense of what my career was supposed to be. For me, the important thing was making enough money to pay for the things I loved to do.

As I was pulverizing my garlic cloves, I realized that while I've suffered through an identity crisis with my career for 15 years, it actually has enabled exactly the lifestyle I want. I read, I write, we travel and take in movies. And I cook.

You've gotta love those moments of clarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment