Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Nothing restores me

Like the sea. Whenever I've felt down or had challenges in my life, I drive to Dockweiller Beach and watch the ocean. Something about the rish and crash of the waves, the dappled sun on the water and the wind rushing through the palm trees gives me peace and the ability to understand the world. The sea is the world's most perfect drug.

Yesterday I was exhausted from fighting the flu. I bundled up Magnus and we drove up the hill and parked in my favorite spot overlooking the water. Magnus seemed into it, tossing aside his favorite toy monkey to look out the window and watch the waves. I talked to him about the sun coming out every day over the water and then falling each evening against a stunning backdrop of colors, and how lucky we are to live so close to such amazing beauty. He grinned at me and then drooled.

As we drove home I actually felt stronger than I had for several days. I was also buoyed by the notion that the sickness would soon pass and life would be restored to its natural balance. Just 20 minutes at the beach and my spirit was calm. That ain't something Tamaflu can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment