Friday, November 6, 2009

The swine flu really sucks

I always cherish being healthy but I especially cherish it now as I lay on the bed with my millionth cup of tea and a box of Tamaflu on the nightstand. J came down with the s-flu this weekend, lovingly passed it on to me, and we've been waging the battle together ever since. This is sickness and in health, folks.

I don't remember much of Tuesday, my worst day. I didn't really get up from bed and mostly floated in and out of a feverish sleep. My parents came and took Mags home with them to protect his tiny immune system. I missed him painfully but having him fall ill was not something J or I wanted.

The doctor confirmed I had the flu on Wednesday and prescribed rest and good drugs. It's been a marathon of sleep, water and endless pills. This flu is vivid in my memory. Its more acute than other strains I've experienced before. It's hard to draw a deep breath and you become exhausted at the slightest mobility, like sitting up. I am diligent about work and checking in but now, I can't even cross the bedroom to retrieve my Blackberry. If the New York Times called us for a front-page interview, I'd roll on my side and go to sleep.

At least we are not alone in our saga. I've confirmed three friends are also doing battle with the mighty virus - an unwitting Flu Club Society. Some folks have worse symptoms than we do and are pretty much living in their bathroom, so we remain grateful as we hope for a return to normalcy (especially regular food. If I see another bowl of soup I will commit murder.)

Stay healthy everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment