Wednesday, December 22, 2010

is it really a good thing

To suppress your period with birth control pills? I like to think I am open-minded and far from traditional, but this concept eludes me. It seems like Mother Nature intended us to bleed monthly. Do we have the right to interfere with that? And what are the long-term effects of interrupting our natural cycle?

Faithful readers know I have a less than pleasant monthly visitor. I won't shed a tear once I hit menopause. However, I can't conceive of taking a pill to stop my period. I can't articulate why but it just seems like there is some reason - mystic or otherwise - that women go through this monthly.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you've seen the SNL short spoofing that pharmaceutical, right? Absolutely hilarious. Yes, there is something very wrong with that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the technology has been around for a looooong time. When I first got on ‘the pill’ in college, my doctor put me on 150s, which were strong so my periods would last 2 to 3 days. My doctor told me that if I didn't want to bleed then skip the placebos and start the next month’s pills. It was awesome. My inner whore was very pleased. Later in life I had lost my private physician and was forced to Planned Parenthood. They scoffed at my prescription of 150s and promptly placed my on 35s. My periods were 7 days long, heavy and crampy. When the depo provera shot was available and not just for rapist and pedophiles anymore, I tried that too. The results were supposed to be no periods with one shot every 3 months. My reality was bleeding everyday with a two day break every 30 days and hair loss. Also, keep in mind that earlier women (about 12 thousand years ago) had a period that lasted only 2 days and they didn’t bleed every month. The reason was because of diet and environment. Women were a lot more active back then too with al the walking and foraging for food. So as we progressed into a civilized world, we got fat and lazy and thus got longer periods every month. You know how female gymnasts (and other athletes) lose there periods while training or don’t start their periods until much later in life? Completely normal. Anyway, I have no problem with using medications to manipulate my hormone levels because I’ll be dammed if I’m gonna get my 41 year old ass to sign up for gymnastics.

    ReplyDelete